These phrases refer to the languages web developers use to write code and create an appealing design. Most business owners don’t need to understand the nuts and bolts of web design, but it can help to know the basics before beginning a conversation about changing your web design or implanting a new one.
Why Is a Basic Understanding Important?
You don’t need to know how to code to know your website is a crucial component of your business and marketing strategies.
By understanding a few things, however, you may feel like you and your designer can have a coherent conversation – and you can more clearly express your needs.
You may believe you can simply tell a designer want you to want, and poof – like magic – it happens. Sometimes, that is the case, but when things aren’t going so smoothly, it can help to understand why.
Technology keeps marching – as it changes, it helps to know why developers might need to change your site to keep it current.
Businesses and web developers are always rethinking their design and making changes to keep up with Google updates, trending designs, and more. It is how they make sure that their website redesign services are always the most premium offered in the market.
Most Commonly Used Languages
There is a variety of coding languages developers choose from, and most use the language they are most comfortable with. Their preference is formed over time based on their experience using different languages. Since these languages are going to form an integral part of your website redesign, it is in the best interest of your brand to familiarize yourself with the various languages that are currently ruling the market.
Here are the most common languages and how they are used:
HTML makes up the layout and structure for your website. This language is dynamic and allows you to create a beautiful website using less code , which is why it is highly recommended by various digital marketing Companies across the globe. HTML is used to create a starting point for the website and is what most of your static pages start from. A better way to understand this language is to consider it as the skeleton that is holding your website together.
HTML is not a programming language. But you should consider it as the starting point of web development. HTML is where every budding web developer starts.
What are the features of HTML?
HTML has all the features you want in a web development language.
- It is a platform-independent web programming language because you can run it on any browser.
- You can embed any image, video, and audio to the web page.
- HTML markups all the texts inside the web design code. These markups tell the browser to display texts and multimedia on a web page.
- HTML defines unique tags to maintain the semantic structure of the web page.
What are the pros of HTML?
HTML, as a language for web development, has many advantages.
- HTML is used by 94.5% of the websites
- HTML-based websites run on every browser
- Simple to learn, use, and launch a website
- HTML makes a website fast as it is lightweight
- HTML doesn’t need any software.
- HTML comes by default in every system
- The loose syntax makes web programming easier to learn and use
- HTML is very easy to write
What are the cons of HTML?
- HTML is a static language
- You can’t create dynamic output with HTML alone
- Easy web pages may demand tons of coding
- HTML has weaker security features
How long does it take to learn HTML?
Expert web developers and programmers recommend practicing HTML for 3-4 hours a day. If you keep up with the routine, you can get the basic gist of HTML in 2 weeks. However, you’ll need to practice on projects to get the hang of it.
Best courses for HTML?
- Master the Basics of HTML5 & CSS3: Beginner Web Development
- Web Development By Doing: HTML / CSS From Scratch
- Learn HTML & CSS: How To Start Your Web Development Career
For more courses, check out our web design tutorial blog.
- Backend Web Development for HTML: Django, Laravel, Flask, etc.
- Popular websites that use HTML: Google, Facebook, Amazon, YouTube, etc.
CSS is the language developers can use to style a website. The style sheet language describes how your website is presented and its layout. CSS is used hand in hand with HTML to add colors, backgrounds, layouts, font sizes, and more. This language is a core technology web developers use to design and build websites.
Like HTML, CSS is not a programming language. Since you’re only determining the style of the webpage you’re developing, it makes sense not to call it a programming language. But it’s a fundamental tech skill you should know to design the website
What are the features of CSS?
CSS is one of the web languages which gives you massive control over web design.
- CSS helps you control various styles
- You can customize text color and font size
- CSS lets you put spaces among paragraphs
- You have greater control over size and layout
- You can customize background images and colors more efficiently
- CSS also allows setting displays for multiple screens and devices
- CSS also controls HTML documents
- HTML and XHTML are easy to integrate with CSS
What are the pros of CSS?
CSS, as a web developer’s language, has plenty of benefits. Here’re some you’d want to explore.
- CSS ensures faster speed for your website
- It needs less coding for a big effect on the webpage
- CSS is easy to manage
- CSS applies consistent styling elements on the web pages
- It saves a lot of time with short and efficient coding/maintenance
- CSS gives device compatibility to the website design
- You can change the position of HTML with CSS
What are the cons of CSS?
- Different CSS levels create confusion among beginner web developers
- CSS offers limited security features
- It demands compatibility testing across all the browsers.
- Compatibility testing may increase the workload for developers
How long does it take to learn CSS?
An average learner takes about 6 to 8 months of learning to work on CSS projects. It may vary depending on learning speed, degree of discipline, and total hours spent per day.
Best courses for CSS?
- Learn Responsive Web Development from Scratch
- Master the Basics of HTML5 & CSS3: Beginner Web Development
- HTML & CSS: Build a Dashboard
Check our web designing courses to know more about CSS courses.
- Backend Web Development for CSS: Java, Ruby, Python, etc.
- Popular websites that use CSS: Baidu, Google, YouTube, etc.
Java is one of the most popular programming languages. It is used to develop website content, games, apps, and software. Java is used in the production of most Android apps. Studies have shown over 15 billion devices are using Java in some form or other. Java language is portable and can be run on multiple software platforms.
Web developers use the Java web development language for server-side. You can use Java to create dynamic web pages for user interaction.
What are the features of Java?
Though Java is mainly propagated as an app development programming language, many developers use features of Java for web development as well.
- Java is an object-oriented web development language
- Java has secure features
- You can process your Java code on many processors as it’s architecture-neutral
- Java is a portable web development language
- Java is a multithreaded and dynamic web programming language
What are the pros of Java?
There are several advantages of picking Java as your preferred web development language
- Java is platform-independent
- Java has many APIs for web development
- It’s a secure web language
- Java IDEs make it easier for you to build and publish a website
- Java makes your website scalable
What are the cons of Java?
- Java is a high-level language so it requires significant space
- Java web development codes can get complex and may need many lines of code for a single web page
- It doesn’t have a native look and feel
How long does it take to learn Java?
You can become a confident Java web developer if you spend 2-3 hours a day repeatedly for about 1-2 years.
Best courses for Java?
- Java Fundamentals: The Java Language
- Java Tutorial for Complete Beginners (Udemy)
- Java Programming: Beginner to Guru (Udemy)
Check more design courses on Java.
- Backend Web Development for Java: Spring, Grails, Struts
- Popular websites that use Java: Stackoverflow
- It gives more control to the browser than making websites overly dependent on servers.
- It is versatile in both front-end and back-end web development
- You may have to run code on different browsers before going live
You’ll take around 6 to 9 months to get a bit proficient in it. However, you may need years of practice to get the complete hang of it.
Python is one of the easiest languages to use and work with. Python can create a framework for basically any website need. This language uses simple and straightforward syntax, making it easy for web developers to work with and explain to their users. Some familiar sites that are using this language are Pinterest and Instagram.
Web developers looking to have a versatile web development environment using Python. Python uses a huge collection of standard libraries that make the development process hassle-free.
What are the features of Python?
The features of Python make it unique in the web development domain. Here are some of them:
- Python is an open-source language
- Python in-built libraries integrate AI in web development
- It supports strong prototype web building
- Python is platform-independent
- Python is a portable language
- It’s an integrated language
What are the pros of Python?
Python offers web development opportunities that many other web design languages fail to give. Here’re some benefits of using Python as your preferred web development language.
- Python is extremely easy to read, learn, and write.
- The simple syntax makes Python a productive web design language
- The debugging in python is simple
- Python is dynamically typed during the execution
- The vast library support makes Python one of its kind
- Python is a free source
What are the cons of Python?
- The dynamic nature of Python may reduce the speed of your website
- Python web programming language takes a huge memory space
- There’s a limitation to using Python on client-side websites
- Python programming is easy, but database accessibility is complex
How long does it take to learn Python?
If you have a decent degree in learning discipline, the fundamentals of Python will take around 2 to 6 months. Developing mastery over Python’s array of libraries may take you years.
Best courses for Python?
- Analyze Data with Python (Codecademy)
- Learn Python 3 (Codecademy)
- Introduction to Python (DataCamp)
You can find more Python and other web development & designing courses here.
- Backend Web Development for Python: Flask, Django, Pyramid, etc.
- Popular websites that use Python: Netflix, Uber, Pinterest, etc.
SQL is a database query language that is used when your website is computing large amounts of data. Using SQL allows you to gather data from different databases and use it to cater your website to your target audience. This language is not used alone; instead, it is paired with others to get the most out of your customer database and website development.
What are the features of SQL?
Though SQL is a structured query language, web developers use it to communicate with databases. Here are the features of SQL
- SQL is a data definition language
- Web developers use SQL for relational databases
- SQL has security-enabled features
- It has a simple, english-like structure
- SQL is portable across different systems
What are the pros of SQL?
SQL manages a large pool of data. But there’s much more to it.
- SQL processes data queries very quickly
- No coding skills are required to run SQL queries
- SQL has become a standardized language for the majority of the users
- SQL is platform-independent and can be used in different programs
- The SQL language is very simple to understand and learn
What are the cons of SQL?
- SQL has a complex interface
- SQL is expensive
How long does it take to learn SQL?
SQL is a simple language to master compared to other website coding languages we have mentioned. You can add SQL to your skillset wizardry in 2-3 months if you play around with it for four hours a day.
Best courses for SQL?
- SQL for Data Science (Coursera)
- Introduction to Databases and SQL Querying (Udemy)
- SQL: The HitchHikers Guide To Writing SQL Queries (Udemy)
- Popular websites that use SQL: Oracle, Stackoverflow, Microsoft
PHP is often used on data-heavy websites or for app development. This is an open-source language that can be easily modified to meet the needs of your business or website. Large websites like WordPress and Facebook use PHP to manage and process their data.
It’s a dynamic, server-side scripting language that helps build fully-functional websites and applications.
What are the features of PHP?
Half of the web is resting on PHP’s shoulders. Even the largest website builder in the world, WordPress, uses PHP features.
- PHP is an open-source web programming language
- PHP uses its server so it’s faster than JSP and ASP
- It has easy-to-understand syntax
- PHP is platform independent so code is easily executable on every OS
- PHP is a loosely-typed language
- It can do the work in a few lines of code
What are the pros of PHP?
With tons of web development features, PHP also has plenty of benefits to offer.
- PHP is free of cost and can be downloaded anywhere
- PHP manages codes very easily
- The less learning curve in PHP makes it a highly used website programming language
- You can use powerful library support for customized website development
- PHP can easily be combined with other website languages
What are the cons of PHP?
- PHP is insecure about its open-source programming
- More PHP features can hamper site speed and performance
- PHP doesn’t let changes in the core behavior of websites
- You may not feel comfortable using PHP for giant content-based websites
- It’s tough to manage PHP
How long does it take to learn PHP?
Depending on the overall time you commit, PHP may take about 3 to 6 months. The easy-to-skim and understandable syntax ease off the learning curve and you can get the knack of it if you give 4 hours a day for practice.
Best courses for PHP?
- PHP Essential Training (LinkedIn Learning)
- Foundations: The Beginner’s Guide to PHP (Skillshare)
- Learning PHP (LinkedIn Learning)
- Backend Web Development for PHP: Symfony, CodeIgniter, Symfony.
- Popular websites that use PHP: Wikipedia, Tumblr, Slack.
.NET (pronounced dot net) is a framework that provides programming guidelines that can be used to develop a wide range of applications from the web to mobile to Windows-based applications. The .NET framework can work with several programming languages such as C#, VB.NET, C++, and F#. At Grand Circus, we use C# as well as MVC. .NET has a huge collection of predefined class libraries (pre-written code) that has support for simple and complex data structures.
What are the features of .net?
.NET has all-around development features. However, its web development capabilities are worth noticing.
- .NET is an open-source framework
- .NET uses advanced features like running the website on the latest version
- It gives cross-platform support over multiple OS
- .NET uses authentication and authorization mechanism for data security
- .NET has unified MVC and Web API
What are the pros of .net?
ASP.NET helps in building rich and dynamic websites. But you can make use of additional benefits such as:
- ASP.NET allows for separation of concerns
- The framework from ASP.NET reduces all the coding hassle
- Website flexibility and scalability are much achievable with ASP.NET
- The ASP.NET framework has a rich toolbox for website development
- You can divide your website across multiple-languages
- Even the tricky tasks can be done easily
- You can develop secure websites with built-in authentication features
- ASP.NET allows easy cross-platform migration
What are the cons of .net?
- ASP.NET is expensive in comparison to other open sources
- The framework documentation is not up to the mark
- Data access may not give the best results
- Changes in websites may not be visible in the next version
How long does it take to learn .net?
Though the .NET framework is easy to learn, it may still take you two to three months to get the knack for it. Your learning speed will be depending on the level of commitment and grasping.
Best courses for .net?
- The Complete ASP.NET MVC 5 Course
- Build an app with ASPNET Core and Angular from scratch
- ASP.NET Core Fundamentals By Scott Allen
- Popular websites that use .net: Microsoft, GoDaddy, Dell.
Angular is a TypeScript-based open-source front-end application platform led by the Angular Team at Google and by a community of individuals and corporations. Angular is a complete rewrite from the same team that built AngularJS. Angular is a platform that makes it easy to build applications with the web. Angular combines declarative templates, dependency injection, end to end tooling, and integrated best practices to solve development challenges. Angular empowers developers to build applications that live on the web, mobile, or desktop.
What are the features of Angular?
Angular has become one of the most popular front-end web development tools. You can attribute its success to the web app features it provides.
- Angular is a cross-platform web development language
- Angular based websites have high speed
- It’s used in making progressive web applications
What are the pros of Angular?
Angular brings in a breath of fresh air for web development. Here is why you’d want to prefer Angular as a web language for projects and learning.
- Angular gives a cross-platform development feature
- Angular helps create quality websites
- You can build websites in a short time
- You can also make lightweight interactive web applications
- Angular has a wide array of design libraries for web designing
What are the cons of Angular?
- Angular doesn’t have many options for SEO, You would need to separately seek the services of SEO agencies to ensure your website is optimized for search engines.
- The learning curve is very steep, so Angular is hard to understand and implement
- The verbosity of angular is complex
- Official documentation lacks information
How long does it take to learn Angular?
Web developers in the domain feel Angular is easy to learn and may take 2-3 months to get the grip of the language. Your learning curve is dependent on the overall time you commit to Angular. 2-3 hours are good, to begin with.
Best courses for Angular?
- Getting Started with Angular 2+
- Angular for Beginners Course
- Build an Angular and Spring MVC Web Application
- Backend Web Development for Angular: Node.Js
- Popular websites that use Angular: PayPal, Forbes, Microsoft Xbox
Why Do Some Languages Work Better Than Others?
No one language is inherently better than another, they just perform better with different tasks. There are some key factors that web developers consider when they are deciding what language or coding method to use while working on a project. Here are some of those factors:
- Expressiveness: The expressiveness relates to how easy a language is to understand, use, and write. The productivity of a language says a lot about how expressive your website will be. The easier a language is to write, the more time can be spent on adding design elements to the site. The expressiveness relates to how easy it is to add to the existing code. A developer will use a language where he or she does not have to spend a lot of time thinking about how to expand upon the code to grow or update the website.
- Reliability: The reliability of the language and the code is important. The functionality of your website relies on how reliable the language is. The code is also in place to protect your website and customers. Reliable code will be easy to test and maintain. When a developer is reviewing the code, he or she should be able to scan it and get a sense for how reliable the website will be.
- Performance: This is an important factor for developers to consider when they are working on a business website. They must take into consideration the amount of traffic your site will receive and what types of activities users will be doing while they visit your website. They will look for easy optimization to different servers and browsers and will want to make sure the code will operate consistently throughout a visitor’s time spent on the website.
Know the Basics, and Let Your Designer Take It From There
There are several online resources available that can help beginners learn the basics of code and have a better understanding of web development. As a business owner or someone who just has a general interest in understanding coding languages, a basic understanding of the above examples can go a long way. All you need to do is choose a language you want to learn from the above list. Then you need to do a preliminary online search to find the right web design tutorial for your needs. Enjoy learning!
Web designers and developers may seem like magicians to most of us, but more than that, they are artists – and unlike other forms of art, form, and function must work together seamlessly. Coders want sites to perform well and look good for businesses and clients. When it works well for you, it works well for them, too.